Communicating Astronomy with the Public 2010 - Day 5 (2010 Mar 19)
The final day of the conference. It's been amazing.
Some 157 delegates attended CAP2010, hailing from: Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, France, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Mauritius, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Venezuela and Zambia.
Rick Feinberg chaired the morning session.
Rosa Doran ("The Galileo Teaching Training Program beyond 2009")
Nicolas Cretton ("Communicating astronomy in schools")
Its interesting to note tha tCretton also teaches astronomy to their arts students; this might possibly be their last exposure to science in a formal education setting.
Kevin and his famous announcements.
Pedro Russo chaired the afternoon (and final) session.
Alfred Rosenberg Gonzalez (Spain) described the TeleAstronomia programme.
Riwaj Pokhrel (Nepal Astronomical Society, Kathmandu) spoke on the Nepalese astronomical outreach activities.
Dennis Crabtree (President of IAU Commission 55) noted in his closing comments:
Personally found this the most interesting CAP meeting yet!
- approximately 45 countries represented at CAP2010.
- thanks to everyone for making the meeting a success
Wonderful to hear SPoC reports on activities during IYA 2009.
- ingenuity, enthusiasm and tireless effort
Incredible variety of activities and locations
Some common themes
- important of amateur astronomers
- desire to carry momentum of IAY 2009 forward
Thanks to LOC - Shukrani LOC
- Ian particularly wants to thank Encarni for all her work on helping him on keeping on track of the participants and programme changes during the last three hectic weeks
- Special thanks to Kevin for ALL of his announcements.
Looking forward to CAP2011 - currently looking at the last two weeks of September or first two weeks of October 2011, somewhere in Asia.
Catch Kevin's final announcement as he introduces the LOC and the other behind-the-scenes organisers of the conference (video on YouTube).
nothing more to see. please move along.